[BlueOnyx:19011] Re: New VPS on Aventurine

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet Services cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Jan 18 11:50:15 -05 2016

On 2016-01-17 01:58, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
>> I have installed a new 5802R VPS on an Aventurine box.   The problem
>> is
>> that when I go to the new VPS, I get the login prompt (user name &
>> password) and not the setup wizard.
>
> There is currently a problem with the latest OpenVZ kernel on
> Aventurin{e} 6106R, which is this one:
>
> ]# uname -a
> Linux XXXX 2.6.32-042stab113.11
>
> VPS's with the "simfs" filesystem have no working disk quota if that
> kernels is used on the master node. Without working disk quota in the
> VPS the admin account won't get created on first VPS start of a fresh
> VPS. And existing VPS's will have issues creating Vsites and Users. :-/
>
> The last "good" kernel is 2.6.32-042stab112.15. Now the OpenVZ YUM
> repository layout makes it a bit difficult to rollback kernels. But
> here
> is what you can do until a better fix is out:
>
> On the master node run this command:
>
> yum install vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab112.15
>
> That will install the "good" 2.6.32-042stab112.15 kernel out of the
> "Aventurin" yum repository.
>
> Then check /boot/grub/grub.conf. The 2.6.32-042stab112.15 should be the
> first entry among the listed kernels.
>
> And "default=0" should be set as one of the first lines somewhere below
> the initial comments. If that is the case: Reboot the node.
>
> After the reboot check again with "uname -a" to make sure that
> 2.6.32-042stab112.15 is now the active kernel. And then disk quota for
> VPS's should work again correctly.

One caveat that we have found: we have found several cases where a
graceful restart of Aventurin{e} will initiate a "suspend" of a VPS
rather than restart.   Although the host system will have rebooted, the
guests may not have, which can be checked by looking at the uptime of
the VPS.   Therefore, you may need to restart the VPS after rebooting
the host node.

> I posted about this issue on the OpenVZ mailing list yesterday and am
> waiting for a fix. The problem seems to be a regression error in
> fs/namespace.c:show_vfsmnt() where they changed "/dev/simfs" to simply
> "simfs" - which doesn't work.

Yeah... I thought I noticed that.   Dang it.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services