[BlueOnyx:19832] Re: GeoIP issue with private net lan

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jul 13 23:06:37 -05 2016

Hi Larry,

> Have one 5209 server installed on a private net
> and started having a problem this morning with
> geoip giving an "unknown" for the IP block and
> apparently basically blocking them all from sending
> mail (even with smtp-auth).
>
> How does one whitelist the local, private network
> when using geoip???

I presume you're using the AV-SPAM? In that case there are a couple of
ways of doing this.

See under "Network Services" / "AV-SPAM" in the tab "GeoIP". At the
bottom of it you have the field "Whitelisted Users". You can add the
usernames of users there who should be exempt from GeoIP related blocking.

Also note: The blocking of Blacklisted countries (and "unknown" IP's)
only kicks in if you have the checkbox "Block Blacklist entirely"
ticked. If you untick that, then users from "unknown" IP's should be
able to send emails. In that case something like the following will
appear in /var/log/maillog:

milter-geoip: Connect from admin at 10.1.240.128 - 10.1.254.1 with message
for admin at 10.1.250.128
milter-geoip: Auth-ID: admin
milter-geoip: UNKNOWN: Sender 10.1.254.1 reported country:
milter-geoip: Email-Allowance-Check: ACCEPT

So if you untick the checkbox "Block Blacklist entirely" you should be
OK. But I'll also update Milter-GeoIP with provisions to deal with cases
like this.