[BlueOnyx:19891] Re: Pear mail.php

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jul 26 13:56:34 -05 2016

Hi Colin,

> We have a client wanting to use pear mail.php but no matter what he does and which of our BX servers he uses as a relay he gets:
>
> Jul 21 18:11:45 server2 sendmail[1574]: STARTTLS=server, error: accept failed=0, SSL_error=1, errno=0, retry=-1, relay=[192.168.10.254]

Like Dudi said: This is a cert validation error. It looks like the Pear
class Mail.php always defaults to using TLS and if the certificate fails
validation, the sending of email fails.

Two ways around that: Get a real certificate (even a "Let's Encrypt"
cert might do).

Or: Disable TLS/SSL in PEAR::Mail.

See https://www.authsmtp.com/php-pear-mail/

That explains an edit somewhere near line 590 where TLS usage can be
turned off.