[BlueOnyx:19689] Re: e-mail flooding

Tigerwolf tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Fri Jun 10 09:30:58 -05 2016

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016, "Meaulnes Legler"@MailList wrote:

> Since the senders differ, I cannot use the apf firewall, or can I?

The senders may vary, but the IP very likely will be all the same or
within a network block.  That should be easily filtered by iptables.
>From your sample, 138.185.239.223 in Brazil appears to be the source.

Check your mail logs for IPs in the same network range as the sample:
           grep 138.185.239. /var/log/maillog|less

If there's lots of entries, then just firewall the source network
           iptables -A INPUT -s 138.185.239.223/24 -j DROP
Adjust the netmask for larger or smaller numbers of blocked IPs.

>I think I could use SpamAssasin to filter out those mails, but I don't
> know how to configure it.

SA takes some time to 'learn' the nature of a spam before it will filter
new things, so not really a good tool for stopping a sudden flood.

> Any ideas?

Use SpamHaus.  The BX GUI for mail should have a choice to to enable DNS
blocklists (DNSBL) with SpamHaus blocking.  SpamHaus usually are quick to
spot sources of floods and blocks the source IPs.  It works by having
sendmail do a DNS lookup to SpamHaus when there's incoming mail, and the
results that is returned determines if mail is accepted or, if it's a
known spammer source, stopped immediately.