[BlueOnyx:20216] Re: BlueOnyx Mirror Maintenance

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Nov 2 11:33:34 -05 2016

Hi Michael,

On 11/1/2016 6:55 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you might (hopefully not) have noticed: The BlueOnyx mirrors were
> having an outage of several hours today. That should be fixed by now.

SNIP

> So today I tackled the real problem: The separate VPS with the SQL
> backend of the mirrors. The database had grown to a point where it got a
> little unwieldy and the 32-bit MySQL server on it wasn't really tweaked
> in the most ideal fashion anyway. Under more than average load it didn't
> respond in time to queries. YUM has a pretty short timeout and if the
> Varnish + Nginx + SQL combo doesn't respond within a few seconds, YUM
> throws a fit.
>
> I migrated the SQL VPS to 5209R and MariaDB and tweaked the settings to
> coax out more performance. I expected a 5-15 minute downtime, but sadly
> things didn't go as planned.
>
> This is now all sorted and the mirrors should work a little bit more
> reliably than before. There are still several small fixes and tweaks
> that I'll need to apply in the days to come, but these shouldn't cause
> as much grief as todays fixes.

Thanks for your efforts on this.  As with all things BlueOnyx that you
do, it's well appreciated.

Although we've been off the 32-bit installs since the release of 5108R,
I have also noted some of the older installations (5106R, customer
5107R) getting bogged down by seemingly simple tasks that did not stress
them out in the past.  As sites are increasingly dynamic and the files
we ask the servers to handle get increasingly large (esp. when we're
handling large email attachments via PHP, I've noted) we're just going
to have to be phasing the old dinosaurs out.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services