[BlueOnyx:20902] Re: Server Backup issue

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Apr 11 12:19:53 -05 2017

Hi Michael,

> I have been having a problem where the Server Backup package will hang while
> backing up large databases.
>
> I add the following to the mysqldump command "--flush-logs" and "-q"
>
> so the whole options bit looks like "--all-databases --flush-logs
> --add-locks -Q -q -f -u"
>
> The --flush-logs force any logs to be written out. This simply makes sure
> that the InnoDB state is all caught up from what I understand. It introduces
> a delay but it has not been bad.
>
> The -q causes the dump to read large tables one row at a time rather than
> reading and buffering the whole table. Can solve problems on reading large
> tables.

This is indeed quite useful. Many thanks for bringing this up! I'll
modify the backup script accordingly.

> The other thing I have done, in order to ensure I get good backups is to
> include the /home/msql folder as an additional folder in the backup, but in
> order for that to work MariaDB (or MySQL) must be stopped while the folder
> is backed up.

I think I include that as configurable GUI option (default = not active)
as well. But it will need a big fat warning that this will cause an
outage of the MySQL/MariaDB server if a user enables that option.