[BlueOnyx:20958] Re: LetsEncrypt Install Error

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Apr 24 14:16:49 -05 2017

Hi Richard,

> When I try and install a LetsEncrypt SSL on a virtual site, I get the error
> "The following error occurred during the SSL certificate request. The
> installation path for the certificates could not be determined".

The logfiles /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log and /var/log/messages
will shed more light one this.

LE needs to verify that you own the domain(s) for which you request
certificates. For that it puts a file under /web/.well-known/... of that
Vsite and polls it for every domain name that you request the
certificate to be valid for. The cert will only be issued if that
/.well-known/... file can be reached for *all* domain names that you
request the cert to be valid for.

And that verification failed. Either for all domains, or at least one of
them. The logfiles will tell you which domain(s) it failed for.

There are a multitude of reasons why it can fail and the most common
ones are these:

- Vsite or one of it's aliases has no DNS A record or are
  otherwise not reachable.

- You request the cert to be valid for an alias as well,
  but have "Web Alias Redirects" ticked under "Services"/"Web"

- .htaccess file redirects somewhere else before /.well-known/
  can be accessed.