[BlueOnyx:21230] Re: FTP login defaultroot wrong path

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Aug 1 07:33:26 -05 2017

On 8/1/2017 2:41 AM, Tobias Gablunsky wrote:

> For siteadmins we indicate the need to change the directory to "/web" after login (in our login documentation - but who is reading a documentation? At least not further as to the credentials..). Most of them will configure this as the start directory in their ftp client.
>
> But nonetheless if they do or don't: Changing the default will not break anything: after login they will change to "/web" or to "../../web", either manually or automatically. If they have started there already this is redundant, but they will still end up in the same directory.

Oh, I think you're right.  And I'm embarrassed I did not latch onto this
before.

> I would love to see this to be the default login folder for siteadmins!

So long as there are no unintended consequences, sure!  I'll continue
beating that drum.  Don't break existing functionality!

>> The current plan is to provide WebDAV as a simple, more robust and more
>> usable alternative in the short to mid-term. That way users could either
>> use a WebDAV client or even a browser that supports WebDAV to handle
>> their file uploads. And it won't take away FTP, which can still be
>> provided as it currently is for those that didn't get the memo or have
>> other reasons to continue to use it.
>>
>> Any thoughts or reservations against this?
>>

> I am not too particular about WebDAV. Sure it would be a nice addition. But in short and mid-term I don't see it replacing ftp.

As with Tobias, I'm fine with WebDAV being added (though it seems there
may be some obstacles there) but not overly keen about it.   It's fine,
but not near the top of my wish-list.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services