[BlueOnyx:21286] Re: Auto redirect to encrypted https

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Aug 24 00:27:06 -05 2017

Hi Chuck,

> OH!  I'm sorry Michael.  I didn't mean the server management GUI.
>
> I meant a customer's virtual website.  He wants http connections
> redirected to https - so everyone uses only encrypted connections to his
> website.

Oh, I see. Yeah, the .htaccess solution Chris mentioned will work well.

Just to round it out there is another way to do this, but it will affect
*all* Vsites on the server and therefore is often very undesirable.
Because some of these Vsites might not even have SSL certificates.

Having given the warning above: Under "Network Services" / "Web" is a
checkbox called "HSTS". If that is ticked, all supporting web browsers
will use HTTPS instead of HTTP. Like said: This is undesirable if you
have Vsites that have no SSL enabled, because in that case any traffic
to them would go to the first site on that IP that has SSL enabled.

So if you really just need it for one Vsite, then the .htaccess method
is best.