[BlueOnyx:21617] Re: BlueOnyx on Raspberry Pi

Oliver Paukstadt pstadt at sourcentral.org
Sat Dec 30 06:06:30 -05 2017

On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 22:09 -0500, Michael Stauber wrote:

> As for understanding the SVN code tree:
>
> 5209R (CentOS 7 for x86) has some code communality with 5208R (EL6
> for
> x86). Hence the code tree for 5209R in SVN only has the modules that
> are
> distinctly different from 5208R.
5209R/ui/ was nearly empty, for this I went on with 5210R/ui.
Forward ever backward never ;-)
The label in the ui is 5207R sometimes, within the setup wizard for
example.

> That should build the RPMs from the sources. However: You may need to
> manually create the old style RPM directories under /usr/src/redhat/
> or
> (like I do) I just symlink /root/rpmbuild to /usr/src/redhat instead.
I am used to rebuild packages as non-root user, so first I started
dealing with all those install -u root -g root commands, but then i
switched to %_topdir /root/build and found out about about some hard
coded /root/rpmbuild ...

> > If anyone is interested I can setup a clean repo to test and play
> > around.
>
> I think that is a great idea and I applaud your enthusiasm and the
> work
> that you poured into this. If you got this far on your own with the
> sources, then you're pretty good at what you do and I'd love to have
> you
> on the team. :-)
Main problem is the quality and state of centos base image.
I had to recompile ImageMagick for example as I did not find it in the
centos repos for arm.
And I do not yet fully understand the 32/64 bit things on centos arm
and the different raspberry hardware models.

> I do have some questions, though:
>
> Did you have to do any code changes to make some components from our
> SVN
> compile on the Raspberry? I'm particularly curious about CCE and
> wonder
> if it compiled there w/o any changes. I'd be really surprised if it
> did.
Recompiling on the same distribution is not a big deal.
Versions match, dependencies match, configfiles match. Sometime the
bootloader tools differ, but that's all.
Even parsing the cpuinfo looks good within the gui.

I stumbled accross some outdated dependecies im comps.xml (mysql,
replaced by mysqlnd in other packages, the mysql/maria/galera thing,
etc.)

The admserv did not start properly because the php.ini used lib64 as
extension path, which is lib only on that centos arm.
Since the error message was about missing php_mbstring which was
installed this was not a trivial thing to figure out.

Most annoying was the mod_jk.so binary hidden somewhere without
sourcecode and automatic rebuild. ;-)

> Likewise: Which glib-ghash and libmhash did you use to get it to
> build?
> These usually cause me some grief whenever I roll up BlueOnyx for new
> OS's, hence I'm wondering.
Rebuilding packages is fine in general, because autotools deal with
most problems.
I used most of the http://devel.blueonyx.it/pub/BlueOnyx/SRPMS/5209R/
rpms. I had to fix some of the spec files to add arm architecture.

> All in all: I think a BlueOnyx version for the Raspberry Pi is indeed
> worthwhile endeavor and if it runs stable and well, we'd love to
> bring
> it under our umbrella and would love to offer it from our mirrors and
> promote it via the BlueOnyx.it webpage. If you're willing, I can
> grant
> you SVN write access and we can also set something up that you can
> upload the RPMs for the Raspberry Pi to our toplevel YUM repository.
Until now it was a 2-day-quick hack at all ;-)
Now I have to get sorted about the changes, svn diff is my friend.
I am not sure if i am able to add every change without regressions on
the main architectures.
But I like the idea to have a raspberry as home infrastructure server,
like the old qube.

> However: As the Raspberry Pi version of 5209R on CentOS 7 (Arm32?
> Altarch?) will use RPMs that are not binary compatible with 5209R on
> CentOS 7 for x86 it needs a new "model" number and cannot use 5209R
> as
> identifier. Otherwise people might end up buying PKGs in the shop
> with
> the intent to run them on the Pi, yet they won't work, as they were
> compiled on (and for) the CentOS 7 x86 version and not with the
> Raspberry Pi in mind. The shop offers PKGs to clients bases on the
> model
> number to make sure they get something that runs on their version of
> BlueOnyx.
You can even start selling sd-cards with preinstalled 5109R and logo on
it ;-)

Regards,
Oliver Paukstadt
--