[BlueOnyx:20528] Re: I keep on losing my Smart Relay and I'm hoping that someone can tell me how to stop is happening

blueonyxuser at gmail.com blueonyxuser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 14:53:05 -05 2017

Chris
> Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet
> Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:23 AM
> To: BlueOnyx General Mailing List
> Subject: [BlueOnyx:20527] Re: I keep on losing my Smart Relay and I'm
hoping
> that someone can tell me how to stop is happening
>
> Hi Tony,
>
> On 1/16/2017 1:01 PM, blueonyxuser at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > My Smart Relay is setup like this;
> >
> > 1. Set your authorization information by putting the following line to
> /etc/mail/authinfo file:
>
> Found your problem!
>
> If you manually edit the Sendmail configuration files, then you will
> find that those are overwritten by various YUM updates.   That's simply
> how it works.
>
> Ideally, smarthosting could be configured in the GUI with authentication
> credentials in your case.  However, I'm guessing that what you're doing
> is running the server off a home connection or similar where there are
> SMTP restrictions, and from a hosting standpoint, that's not really
> viable, so I'm guessing that's why that function has not made it in.
>
> If the SMTP server you're relaying to is under your control, then you
> could consider opening relay to your home (public) IP address.  If
> that's assigned via DHCP, then you'll have to make changes as that
rotates.

> Otherwise, I suppose you could make it a feature request... or consider
> picking up some hosting from a provider in a datacenter.
>
> --
> Chris Gebhardt
> VIRTBIZ Internet Services
> Access, Web Hosting, Colocation, Dedicated
> www.virtbiz.com | toll-free (866) 4 VIRTBIZ

Chris

The Smart Host itself is in a reputable data center on a fixed IP address
with valid PTR and reputation ( it is my own server ) and the sender is a
fixed IP address ( it is also my own server ) but because the BO has a very
large carrier based Wireless VPN behind it I don't to allow the VPN access
to outbound SMTP ( or in fact the Internet in general ) so I effectively
restrict the VPN to using SMTP on BO with hardcoded usernames/password for
only the devices/username that I want to be able to send emails and then the
BO Smart Hosts that to my primary server to get to the 'real world'.

I would do;

	> Ideally, smarthosting could be configured in the GUI with
authentication credentials in your case

... but that obviously doesn't exist and I cannot work out how to add the
auth details after the domain in the text box so it has to be done in the
files and I do understand that this is a problem.

There was an email a while ago that talked about adding the SmartHost
information to a file that isn't modified by YUM but my archive now only
goes back to Feb. 2015 and I can't find it - or maybe that wasn't to do with
Sendmail :-)

I'd be happy to fund a feature request because this issue causes me, and
others from looking at my available archive, a lot of grief when it occurs
where we all have to race and fix the issue as a result of client
complaints.

If I whitelist the IP Address of the BO in my SmartHost the issue I face is
that the BO machine is behind my pfSense redundant routers and so is the
rest of the business network so I have a bit of a spam risk that I don't
want to deal with ( some of my business users are a worry ).

I know that this is all my own doing but it does affect other BO users so
I'm hoping that there is a solution that helps us all.....

Tony