[BlueOnyx:20546] MySQL permissions problem

Michael Aronoff maronoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 00:05:11 -05 2017

Since I have had virtually every other type of problem this week I have now
discovered a MySQL problem on the fresh server I recently did.

The import of all vistes and users went fine and I restored the database and
it appeared to be fine as well. At least all the sites work.

But I have now discovered there is some sort of bad problem with the
permissions in the mysql database of MariaDB.

I reset the root password and flushed privileges and the GUI says it can
work with the database but when I create any new database users (in the GUI
or directly in PHPmyadmin) it does not work. The user appears to be created
but the password is not saved. When I try to view the user or manually set
the password in PHPmyadmin I get the error "The selected user was not found
in the privilege table." Reloading the privileges does not solve the
problem.

It seems that the mysql user list itself is corrupted. A quick Google
suggests the command "mysql_install_db" being run on the mysql database
itself as a way to fix it but I thought I would ask if anyone has experience
or other suggestions before I tried anything and made it worse.

Thanks,

Michael Aronoff -  <mailto:mick at aronoff.org> michael at aronoff.org

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
  -  <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/31912.html> Thomas Jefferson