[BlueOnyx:21127] Re: "naked" domains

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Jun 19 07:53:41 -05 2017

Hi Lewis,

On 6/18/2017 2:52 PM, Lewis Gardner wrote:

> When you configure a vsite in Blue Onyx you have to specify a hostname.
> I usually use www. Increasingly users don't want to prepend the www to a
> domain name.
>
> I use Namecheap basic DNS and have the hosts @ and * so "naked" domains
> resolve to the Blue Onyx server's IP address. Sometimes this works fine
> and sometimes users end up at the wrong site. I don't have a IP address
> available for each vsite.
>
> Not knowing enough about how DNS and Blue Onyx work I'm mystified.

You don't need to use someone else's DNS to do this.  It's often easiest
to manage everything under BlueOnyx.

> Is there a way to configure Blue Onyx where www.domain.com and
> domain.com render the same site?

Yes, in fact that is the default behavior.  This link is specifically
about email for the domain (without hostname) but the same principal
applies:
https://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=dns-for-email

To make it work for you take a look at the wiki site here:
http://wiki.blueonyx.it/userguide/vsite/vsiteweb

Of specific note: "Web Server Aliases: Enter additional host or domain
names for which this virtual site should accept web requests. Separate
multiple entries with commas or spaces."   Therefore, just enter the
null hostname domain (as you call it, the "naked" domain") here.

Then also note the "Web Alias Redirects" box.   You can read more about
how that works at the Wiki above or this link in the FAQ:
http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=web-alias-redirects

> If a site is using Wordpress are additional steps required to have the
> Wordpress site appear for both www.domain.com and domain.com?

Nope.  Easy peasy!  So long as you've got correct settings in BlueOnyx,
WordPress will "just work".   The exception being if you have configured
WordPress to resolve to the null hostname as the site location, and you
have configured BlueOnyx to use Web Alias Redirects. You'll wind up in a
redirect loop.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services