[BlueOnyx:21135] Re: The following error occured during the SSL certificate request: The installation path for the certificates could not be determined.

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jun 20 13:30:41 -05 2017

Hi,

> I am getting this when I try to renew a letsencrypt on a 5209R and on a
> 52008R
>
> "The following error occured during the SSL certificate request: The
> installation path for the certificates could not be determined."
>
> Anyone shed some light on this?
Please check the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log and see
what it reports. There could be a conflict between some python libraries.

You might also want to run this command manually as "root" from SSH to
see what it says:

/usr/sausalito/letsencrypt/certbot-auto --no-self-upgrade --os-packages-only

If it says ...

OS packages installed.

... and nothing else, then your Let's Encrypt install is generally
working and it just couldn't perform the online check of the SSL
certificate.

Reasons for the validation to fail are plenty. The common ones are:

- Incorrect or missing DNS
- An alias doesn't resolve or redirects elsewhere
- .htaccess/mod_rewrite redirects active
- General access problems from the outside to the verification file.