[BlueOnyx:21150] Re: Troubleshooting question ...

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Jun 29 16:05:43 -05 2017

On 6/29/2017 2:57 PM, Don Teague wrote:
> Question ...
>
> 5208R, site in question running WordPress. Self installed, no BO Store
> options, etc.
>
> Site is loading slow, needing direction on where to start looking to
> find the problem. When I run the site through web speed tests, it shows
> the first byte time is about 3 years or so (okay, maybe not that long,
> but you get the idea.) Everything else seems to be okay.
>
> The domain in question is tied to this email address ... Any suggestions
> on where to start looking would be appreciated. (And for what it's
> worth, another WP site on this server seems to be doing the same thing)

Yes, I see that gtmetrix has you at a solid F.   Part of the reason is
you're loading over 56MB just for your homepage!   Ouch!   Just serving
your assets with having Apache run some gzip compression as well as
serving up properly scaled & optimized images will reduce a full MB of
that.

But then there is still a ton of stuff to have to transfer.  Take, for
instance, that MP4.  The way you've got that embedded, you are forcing
it to load along with your page, every time the page loads.  Assuming a
10Mbps connection, that is > 45 seconds on its own.

That said, it still looks like your site is taking an awfully long time
to load basic elements.  Based on what I can tell you are not maxed out
at the Internet connection, though I can see that since March or so your
network traffic has tripled.   So I would suggest going through some of
the basics on the server to make sure you're not resource-bound or
anything like that.

Set up your .htaccess file to get you some compression & cache going.
Post back if you need some examples on what to add...

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services