[BlueOnyx:20772] Re: BlueOnyx Shop, NewLinQ service restoration

Greg Kuhnert greg.kuhnert at me.com
Sat Mar 4 01:06:38 -05 2017

Hello Blueonyx World.

I’ve just landed back home after the server move. What can I say. It was an experience. One that I hope to not have to do again any time soon. For something of this magnitude, I had purchased a shock proof 19RU rack flight case for shipping the hardware. Despite paying over weight freight, tagging as fragile, mounting in this shock proof case, the server ended up having a hardware fault. It was not initially obviously a hardware issue. The box was rebooting - and it appeared to be software related. I was at first thinking it was kernel related (as there was a kernel upgrade that was activated after power down from previous location). We eventually gave up, and Chris helped out locating some alternate hardware… while in parallel his team did some diagnostics on the original machine.

2. The cables that go to the main board from the front panel on the case had come loose.

Conclusion:
The only way both of those things can happen while being in the protective case that I used would be if the case was dropped from a significant height while in transit. How else would those cables get lose! Its just insane.

Anyway. Chris and team. Thanks again for all your help.

GK