[BlueOnyx:21490] Re: xinetd issues

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Oct 21 10:28:37 -05 2017

Hi Larry,

> <quote>
> Oct 21 07:48:54 web4 xinetd[368]: No active service for file descriptor 2
> Oct 21 07:48:54 web4 xinetd[368]: 1 descriptors still set
> Oct 21 07:48:54 web4 rsyslogd-2177: imuxsock begins to drop messages from pid
> 368 due to rate-limiting
> </quote>
>
> Some googling indicates this is an old issue that was resolved but I cannot
> find any information on why this server is doing it.  Filling up the var
> filesystem quickly each day.

I faintly recall seeing this once or twice before, but I can't recall
what the exact issue was.

As it's related to xinet.d the first stop ought to be a check of the
/etc/xinetd.d/ directory. See if there are any files in there that are
of 0 byte length, which would indicate that they are missing content.
Such as the "proftpd" and "proftpds" config files in there.

Next I'd probably rotate files out of that directory one by one, restart
xinetd and see if that changes anything.

If you send a support request via the GUI (be sure to tick the checkbox
"Allow access"), I can take a look at it.