[BlueOnyx:21495] Re: IPv6 Status

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Oct 24 12:15:09 -05 2017

Moin Jochen,

> this is the last topic I can find about how and when IPv6 will be supported.
> https://www.mail-archive.com/blueonyx@mail.blueonyx.it/msg11305.html
>
> Please apologize for being frank but to me a webserver solution that
> doesn't suppport IPv6 in near 2018 is dubious.

Off and on I looked at implementing IPv6-support in BlueOnyx and it
wouldn't be too complicated or time consuming to do that. So far I was
hindered by the fact that I didn't have an IPv6 environment available
where I could develop and test the required code changes.

Just a CentOS 7 box (with working IPv6 stack) rented somewhere wouldn't
do, as it can be counted on that the development box will (repeatedly)
loose it's working network configuration at some point during the very
early stages of development. In which case direct console access or
onsite intervention would be necessary.

However, Chris Gebhardt provided me with an IPv6 subnet for the servers
I have hosted with him and I have IPv6 available and configured on one
of the Aventurin{e} nodes that I use for development. That now allows me
to run IPv6 VPS's as well. This is perfect for development, as I can
easily console into a VPS to fix a broken network configuration if need be.

If someone is willing to sponsor the IPv6 implementation of BlueOnyx,
then I'm certainly all ears and willing to jump at it at the first
opportunity. The download page of BlueOnyx has a Paypal donation link
and we already used it in the past to sponsor larger development
projects such as the implementation of the new GUI.

That being said: The IPv6 implementation (although not too time
consuming of a project) isn't the first priority on my current to-do list.

At this time I'm committed to a larger project that has the catchy
work-title "Easy-Migration" and is a CMU replacement. Design goal is to
provide a shell tool and a GUI to easily migrate Vsites (with all
relevant data - including DNS, MySQL and WebApps) between BlueOnyx servers.

This is supposed to work in a push/pull function, so that we can
initiate it either from the target server or the source server. From the
shell something as simple as ...

./easy-migrate push www.site.com 10.1.250.10
./easy-migrate pull www.site.com 10.1.250.20

... would either push a local Vsite to another BlueOnyx. Or would pull a
remotely hosted Vsite from a given remote server. Of course this will
only work if the access controls on both servers in question are
configured to allow this.