[BlueOnyx:21919] Re: Letsencrypt on FTP

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 13:22:21 -05 2018

Hi Chris,

    > Valid AlphaSSL certificate on there. So what is going on do you think?
    > The cert is a wildcard one though ... so *.mainline.co.uk. Would that make a difference?

    If the certificate that's installed on the server is *.mainline.co.uk
    and you're connecting to a hostname within the mainline.co.uk domain,
    then that's fine.

    If the certificate is for one domain and the hostname used on your FTP
    client is a different name then you'll get a certificate mismatch.

Hmmm ... well we are using mercury.mainline.co.uk for the hostname and have a valid certificate for *.mainline.co.uk
So why are we getting:

Status:	Resolving address of mercury.mainline.co.uk
Status:	Connecting to 208.67.249.237:21...
Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Status:	Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS.

Regards

Colin