[BlueOnyx:21653] Re: Upgrading MariaDB 5.5 -> 10.2

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jan 8 16:53:34 -05 2018

Hi Aaron,

> I’d like to upgrade to MariaDB 10.x.

We currently do have MariaDB-10.1 in the shop for BlueOnyx 5209R and a
MariaDB-10.2 PKG is planned for the end of this month.

The Package also installs pretty seamlessly and will take care of any
dependency issues.

> Regardless, I’m running into a dependency issue:
>
> base-mysql-capstone-2.4.0-0BX29.el7.noarch
>
> appears to depend on
>
> mariadb-galera-server-5.5.40-4.el7.x86_64
>
> I don’t use MariaDB Galera Server (which I guess is
> for clustering), but I can’t remove it without
> affecting BlueOnyx, and MariaDB 10.2 doesn’t want
> to install while it’s there:
>
> ... from install of MariaDB-client-10.2.12-1.el7.centos.x86_64 conflicts with file ...
>
> Is this dependency really necessary?

The thing is this: On RHEL7 or CentOS7 we ship with the MariaDB-5.5 that
RedHat/CentOS provide. The naming for the RPM is all lower case like
this: "mariadb-5.5.56-2.el7.x86_64".

That's what we have installed on a "stock" 5209R:

[root at 5209r ~]# rpm -qa|grep mariadb
mariadb-5.5.56-2.el7.x86_64
mariadb-galera-common-5.5.40-4.el7.x86_64
mariadb-galera-server-5.5.40-4.el7.x86_64
mariadb-libs-5.5.56-2.el7.x86_64
mariadb-devel-5.5.56-2.el7.x86_64

As you can see: MariaDB-5.5 doesn't have a "mariadb-client" and
"mariadb-server" RPM. Instead it has the client named "mariadb" and then
uses the galera RPMs for providing the server part.

There are components aboard the server, which expect to see MariaDB
present under the name "mariadb" with the dependencies for
"mariadb-libs", "mariadb-galera-common" and "mariadb-galera-server".

Now between MariaDB-5.5 and 10.x the whole shebang of dependencies and
RPM names and such have changed a little and we're back at having
mariadb-client/mariadb-server RPMs. But: It also gets worse that RedHat
has the RPM names all in lower case, but their "upstream" for that (the
MariaDB makers) have three capital letters there like "MariaDB-...".

Which - as far as the RPM-database is concerned - would indicate a
wholly different package with conflicting files.

That's why it's not easy to replace an old MariaDB with a newer one. You
simply cannot use the www.MariaDB.org RPMs for that on a BlueOnyx or you
end up getting into a dependency mess.

Instead I have to rebuild new RPMs from an SRPM, change the naming and
also some dependencies around and wrap it up in a new Package that does
a clean upgrade w/o conflicts.

My recommendation: If you're using 5209R, use the MariaDB-10.1 PKG from
the shop for now and by the end of this month we'll have 10.2 as PKG as
well.