[BlueOnyx:21798] Re: Active monitor — orange star

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Mar 2 10:22:36 -05 2018

Hi Meaulnes,

> since a while, Active Monitor displays an orange star saying that there> is a Network Status error or warning.
> > But everything works fine, the virtual server is connected.> > what's
wrong?
Your BlueOnyx runs on Aventurin{e} and uses venet0 as primary interface.
The network architecture inside the VPS is a bit different than on a
stand alone server.

For example: You don't have a "real" network gateway, but a "virtual"
one with the IP 192.0.2.1. This gateway cannot be pinged:

# ping 192.0.2.1
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted

If the monitoring of "Network Status" is enabled in "Active Monitor",
then Swatch will try to figure out your network status periodically.

On anything but Aventurin{e} we simply ping the IP of the gateway of the
BlueOnyx and on Aventurin{e} we ping the IP address of the master node.

Should the ping of that targeted IP fail, then Active Monitor switches
the network status to yellow.

If your AM-Status is yellow, this either means that the Active Monitor
script couldn't determine the IP address of the master node, or it
couldn't ping it. In itself this isn't critical, as the master node is
always reachable from a VPS and it's impossible to misconfigure the
network of a VPS as it always autoconfigures on VPS startup.

If this problem doesn't resolve itself during one of the next Swatch
runs you can go to "Active Monitor" / "Settings" and can move "Network
Status" from the left to the right side to turn off monitoring of this
component.