[BlueOnyx:22131] Re: cmuImport

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed May 30 14:04:09 -05 2018

Hi Herbert,

> I spun up a vm with CentOS 7 and then applied the rpms to turn it into a
> Blue Onyx server. I did it before the same way and it worked fine.

It kind of depends on the base OS that you apply the BlueOnyx 5209R RPMs
to. Like how it was partitioned and what filesystem it uses. So it's
doable, but has some requirements that are outlined here:

https://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=5209r-manual-install

1.) Pre-installed CentOS 7, Scientific Linux 7 or RHEL 7 server (minimal
install).

2.) Partitions & Filesystems: The partition layout doesn't matter. But
if possible set up a separate /home partition, which has some benefits.
But we can do without separate /home. But please make sure to use the
EXT4 or EXT3 filesystems. XFS and BTRFS use different disk quota systems
which are not compatible with BlueOnyx.

2.) "root" access

3.) Working network connection and pre-configured network settings.

4.) SELinux must be disabled (see: /etc/selinux/config, SELINUX=disabled)

> # /etc/fstab
>
> UUID=74309cb6-4564-422f-bd07-a13e35acbb7a /   xfs
>   defaults,usrquota,grpquota        0 0

That's the problem: XFS.

If mounted like that XFS does indeed support user- and group-quotas. But
in a way that's not supported by BlueOnyx. The perl-Quota module can't
handle the quotas the way XFS implements them.

So you'd need something with EXT4. It would be sufficient if /home was
using EXT4 and quotas.

You can perhaps salvage this by mounting a separate volume under /home
or by resizing / and then creating a separate /home. But one way or
another you need EXT4 for that.