[BlueOnyx:22472] Re: Changing old of vsite

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Nov 6 13:20:20 -05 2018

Hi Jeff,

> Has anyone changed the TLD of a vsite? I have a .info
> vsite that we want to change to .org, now that we have
> gained control of that domain. Wondering what the > process would be
other than pointing DNS and
> entering web aliases.

Let me walk you through it:

In the GUI go to the "General Settings" of that Vsite and check the
status of the checkbox "Automatic DNS Configuration". If that is
checked, then the DNS records were created automatically and a name
change of that Vsite will also directly change the DNS records.

As that might be unwanted, I recommend to untick the checkbox and hit save.

Only then go ahead and enter the new host and domain-name and save as well.

Next go to the "Services" / "Web" and "Services" / "Email" pages and
update all the Webserver Aliases and Email Server aliases.

Finally: Go to "Server Management" / "Network Services" / "DNS" and
update (as well as check) the DNS records for that Vsite and all its
Aliases.

Once that's done and the DNS has propagated, the Vsite should be
reachable under the new domain name as well as all web server aliases.

> The Wordpress site hosted there is another story, but not a
> BlueOnyx problem… LOL

Yeah, with Wordpress the problem might be twofold:

Edit your wp-config.php and (if need be) adjust the path settings in
there to the new realities. Also change/update the domain name settings
in there.

It's been a while since I did this with a Wordpress Vsite, but you
*might* possibly also want to look at the MySQL database of that
Wordpress install and do a search and replace that replaces all
instances of the old FQDN with the new FQDN. It's possible that the FQDN
is also stored in there. Maybe in links, maybe in some WP settings or else.