[BlueOnyx:22444] Re: Email for sub domains

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Oct 15 10:34:57 -05 2018

Hi Colin,

On 10/15/2018 9:00 AM, Colin Jack wrote:

> So root domain is domain.com
> Nameservers for root domain are ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com
> They want email to @domain.com to go to mail1.domain.com and email to @works.domain.com to go to mail2.domain.com
>
> I have created the necessary mx records on ns1 and ns2 for both the root and sub-domain
>
> domain.com.        in mx 0  mail1.domain.com.
> works.domain.com.        in mx 0  mail2.domain.com.

So far, so good.

> Email only goes to root domain.
> Try dig mx works.domain.com and no reply so logic says can't find zone records. :-/

Have your named records truly been updated?  Did you hit "Save" after
adding the new records?   Check the
/var/named/chroot/var/named/db.domain.com file to make sure that the
file looks as you would expect.

If that's in order and you're still not getting a lookup, then restart
named service - on 510X and 5207/5208R boxes we have seen instances
where named does not restart nicely and has to be killed and then started.

Still having trouble after that?  Feel free to open a ticket with our
guys and we can have a look-see for you.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services