[BlueOnyx:22831] Re: Backscatter

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Thu Apr 18 13:47:23 -05 2019

If there is no such user on your system, the email should be rejected during the SMTP connection, which would not result in a bounce message to the spoofed sender.

Unless the spammer is actually sending from that sender’s mailserver using compromised credentials.  In which case you’re not really causing backscatter.