[BlueOnyx:22840] Re: email username

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Apr 22 01:06:06 -05 2019

Hi all,

> Have a look at your failed logins log via the gui, you will see most use
> the email address to try and brute force, or use a compromised password.

Exactly this. The username being one of the authentication tokens
(instead of the email address) adds a small extra layer of protection to
brute force logins. For my own servers I have Fail2ban tweaked so far
these days that a single failed login attempt with the email address
(instead of the user name) will ban the offending IP.