[BlueOnyx:23064] Re: Time difference

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Thu Aug 1 13:40:30 -05 2019

Hi Michael,

    Hi Colin,

    > I wonder if anybody can help with a weird time problem?
    >
    > Customer has a webpage which writes to a MySQL database (for employee clocking on and off).
    >
    > This has been working fine for a couple of years and now they are seeing  a18- 20 minute difference between the time when the employee clocks in (showing on web page) and the time recorded on the database!
    > Server is not under any strain -- time zone is correct.

    Twenty minutes is also an odd time-delta. If it was in full hours I
    might suspect that perhaps PHP or the server itself is operating on the
    wrong time zone. But 20 minutes? That's really odd.

I agree - this is what is strange. My initial thought was time zones.

    The question here is: What generates the time stamps? Are these MySQL
    time stamps or are they generated by PHP or another application and are
    then inserted into MySQL as is?

    If they're MySQL time stamps, then I'd suggest to restart MySQLd. Maybe
    it's internal clock is out of whack with the server time and a restart
    of MySQLd will fix that.

I will ask the question. Restarting MYSQLd didn't make any difference.
A server reboot brought everything into line and then about an hour later it went back to a 20 minutes difference!!

    If it doesn't, then you'd need to find out what actually generates the
    time stamps, because that's where the problem most likely comes from.

Many thanks

Colin