[BlueOnyx:23074] Re: Time difference

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Fri Aug 2 03:33:30 -05 2019

Hi Michael,

> Hi Colin,
>
> > I wonder if anybody can help with a weird time problem?
> >
> > Customer has a webpage which writes to a MySQL database (for employee
> clocking on and off).
> >
> > This has been working fine for a couple of years and now they are seeing  a18-
> 20 minute difference between the time when the employee clocks in (showing
> on web page) and the time recorded on the database!
> > Server is not under any strain -- time zone is correct.
>
> Twenty minutes is also an odd time-delta. If it was in full hours I might suspect
> that perhaps PHP or the server itself is operating on the wrong time zone. But
> 20 minutes? That's really odd.
>
> The question here is: What generates the time stamps? Are these MySQL time
> stamps or are they generated by PHP or another application and are then
> inserted into MySQL as is?

Customer says: " I was using mysql timestamp "now()" in the mysql query. I changed this to a php timestamp "$now = date("Y-m-d H:i:s");" and it remains the same."

If we reboot the server then it comes right but over the day, the 'clock' and 'date' results get out of sync again.

The server is a VM on an ESXi host and all hardware uses the domain controller for NTP.
I have checked the host and domain controller times and they are in sync.
Hwclock is in line with the host time.

Odd ...

Thanks

Colin