[BlueOnyx:22675] Stress Test

Richard Sidlin richard at helpinternet.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 11:45:44 -05 2019

Hi guys

On one of my 5208R servers, we have a website for event entry. One event opens at a particular time and is extremely popular. It gets hit with hundreds of requests pretty much at the same time. A simple online form gets completed and then it heads off to Stripe for payment.

This server is on a pretty meaty HyperV host and has 24GB of ram and 8 CPU's allocated to it. Is there some sort of stress test I can do on it to see what it is likely to cope with and do any of the default settings need to change to allow this number of connections? Last year this server was on a poorer performing server with 4 CPU's and 16GB of ram and the hard drives were slower than the SAS we have in the new server. It crashed pretty much as soon as entries opened.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Rich