[BlueOnyx:22643] Re: Let’s encrypt issue

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Jan 27 17:22:54 -05 2019

Hi Keith,

> We have cron’s that start on boot these servers don’t use ssl let’s
> encrypt certs. So each morning the services are resetting because acme
> keeps trying to get certs now.

Sorry, but that does not appear to be correct. And you can easily test
it to confirm that what I say is right:

Run a "tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log" to check your Apache error log.

Restart Apache:

/sbin/service httpd restart

You will see something like this in error_log and it tells you that
Apache was restarted:

Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS) mod_jk/1.2.40 OpenSSL/1.0.2k-fips mod_fcgid/2.3.9
PHP/5.4.16 mod_perl/2.0.9-dev Perl/v5.16.3 configured -- resuming normal
operations

Now run both the daily cronjob of Let's Encrypt and the cronjob from
"crontab -l" in your shell:

>From /etc/cron.daily/letsencrypt.cron:
---------------------------------------

/usr/sausalito/sbin/letsencrypt_autorenew.pl -a

>From the crontab:

/usr/sausalito/acme/acme.sh --cron --home /usr/sausalito/acme
--config-home /usr/sausalito/acme/data

Tell me if your Apache was restarted. Most likely it wasn't.

Yes, the morning *after* the first time that "blueonyx-le-acme" was
installed we had to restart Apache during the first run of both
cronjobs. That was a transitional necessity.

But afterwards? It'll only restart Apache *if* there is actually an LE
cert found that needs renewal.