[BlueOnyx:23029] "Easy Migrate" released \o/

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jul 26 16:40:10 -05 2019

Hi all,

Have you recently cursed at CMU? When it botched up another migration?
You still can! But only if you want to.

But there is a new kid in town and it's name is "Easy Migrate". I'd like
you to get to know him, because once you do, you wish you had known him
sooner. (Sorry, my fault! Should have coded it sooner.)

If you want to jump right at it, the documentation for "Easy Migrate"
can be found on our newly overhauled BlueOnyx.it website at this URL:

https://www.blueonyx.it/easy-migrate

That explains how "Easy Migrate" works.

Easy Migrate is available for BlueOnyx 5209R and the latest YUM update
should have brought it aboard automatically. You can find the command
under /usr/sausalito/sbin/easy-migrate.pl

Just run it with the "-h" parameter to see the available options.

Easy Migrate works in a "pull" fashion. So you run it on the 5209R that
you want to migrate to. It connects to the source server via SSH (SSH
key exchange for user "root" is needed) and copies a helper script to
the source server. That helper script gathers all the relevant
information and reports it back.

Easy Migrate can migrate the following:

- Server configuration
- MySQL
- DNS
- All Vsites and their Users
- Reseller accounts
- Configuration of installed WebApps and their data
- Configuration of PKGs from the shop
- Retains Vsite group names if they're free on target server.

It runs CCE CREATE transaction to create all the CODB objects and also
compares keys of CODB Objects and NameSpaces to make sure that he CREATE
transactions don't try to set deprecated or absent keys.

If the target server already has the Vsite that you're trying to migrate
(from a previous CMU or Easy Migrate run), then it will use SET
transactions to synchronize the settings between source and target server.

For the transfer of files and folders Easy Migrate uses RSYNC over SSH
and will make any necessary path adjustments on its own. During the
RSYNC it will also directly adjust the UID/GID of files and folders to
the required ones.

MySQL databases and MySQL users that belong to a Vsite that's being
migrated are also imported - as well as DNS records associated to a
Vsite. This also includes secondary DNS and modifications in DNS include
files. Optionally you can also import all MySQL and DNS data separately
via Easy Migrate.

Users that are migrated will also retain all their settings, files,
emails and (if they have any) their user owned cronjobs.

Easy Migrate can therefore be used to migrate individual Vsites and
their Users, or all Vsites. But it can also be used to duplicate or
clone Vsites or whole servers. As the file transfers are done via RSYNC
actual synchronizations of Vsites and Users that were recently migrated
already is much faster than a new migration.

Easy Migrate can import from 5207R and 5208R to 5209R or 5210R. It can
also do 5209R -> 5209R or 5210R -> 5210R or 5210R -> 5209R migrations.
That way it supports all currently supported BlueOnyx versions as well
as the upcoming 5210R.

Imports from not yet updated 5107R/5108R are also possible, but for best
results you should YUM update them first to turn them into 5207R/5208R.

Does it actually work well? I suggest you try for yourself and report
back and issues you find. I did a lot of testing and migrated several
5208R production boxes to 5209R recently as well as shifted some Vsites
around between servers. Any bugs I found myself during that are already
fixed, but depending on your setups you might find the odd problem or
glitch here or there. If you do, please let me know.