[BlueOnyx:23043] Re: CushyCMS and ProFTPD

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jul 30 12:19:44 -05 2019

Hi Ken,

> Given the timeframe, I am wondering if this is related to the recent
> update to ProFTPD.  I am seeing a bunch of zero second connections from
> the CushyCMS IP address and in ban.log I am seeing that IP address
> getting banned due to excessive client connection rate.  I have not
> edited those settings, it appears that >30 connections in 60 seconds
> will get the IP banned for 1 hour.  This only seems to have started
> happening in the past week or so, but as near as I can determine, the
> mod_ban configuration is not new, I don’t think the recent update
> changed it.

What's different is that the new ProFTPd has mod_ban and mod_geoip
activated by default. In your case it's most likely mod_ban that is
causing the issues.

In both /etc/proftpd.conf and /etc/proftpds.conf you have that in this
section:

# mod_ban configuration:
<IfModule mod_ban.c>
        BanEngine on
        BanLog          /var/log/proftpd/ban.log
        BanTable        /var/log/proftpd/ban.tab
        BanOnEvent MaxLoginAttempts 30/00:10:00 00:30:00
        BanOnEvent ClientConnectRate 30/00:01:00 01:00:00
        BanControlsACLs all allow group wheel
</IfModule>

I stripped out the comments in this email as they would line wrap. Just
comment out this section in /etc/proftpd.conf and /etc/proftpds.conf by
putting a "#" at the beginning of each line of that block and restart
xinetd:

service xinetd restart
...or...
systemctl restart xinetd