[BlueOnyx:22932] Re: Strange delay problem

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jun 7 22:58:57 -05 2019

Hi Darren,

> I'm running a 5208R system [...]
> ------------------
> Here's the weird part - I can still FTP to the system, but there is a 10
> second delay in between when I hit enter and it asks for my username. This
> delay is always the same, regardless of whether I use a FQDN or the IP
> address. After that, it works normally.
>
> SMTP is similar - I'm getting timeouts during the authentication phase when
> my client (iPhone) is trying to send, but if it keeps trying, it does
> eventually connect, and at that point, the message sends just fine.

It looks like your server is unable to resolve domain names.

Try this from the command line:

nslookup blueonyx.it

That should return something that includes these lines:

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:   blueonyx.it

Address: 38.114.102.4

If it doesn't, then your server can't resolve domain names in which case
your /etc/resolv.conf is either missing the "nameserver <IP>" lines, or
the nameservers listed there don't answer.

In that case take a look at your /etc/resolv.conf file. It should look
somewhat like this:

[root at sol ~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# /etc/resolv.conf
# Auto-generated file. file.
search smd.net
domain smd.net
#END of auto-generated code.  Customize beneath this line.
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 4.2.2.2

Does it have at least one "nameserver" line with the IP of a working
nameserver behind it?