[BlueOnyx:22969] Re: netftp

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jun 26 12:32:42 -05 2019

Hi Robert,

> I've never used the File Manager before. It works fine as admin, but for
> a site admin, it throws error: Unable to connect to FTP server
> eti.webtent.net on port 21. I find this in the log:
>
> Jun 25 22:40:20 eti net2ftp: 2019-06-26 04:40:20 eti.webtent.net
> gordenmack  function net2ftp (/usr/sausalito/ui/web/ftpclient/index.php
> on line 106)#012argument 0: printBody#012 browse main  96.254.71.164
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like
> Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.100 Safari/537.36
>
> Is there a setting I need to adjust for site admin users?
That feature uses "net2ftp" to allow access via SSH or FTP to the files
on the server. If you use it as "admin", then it will use SSH/SCP. If
you use it as siteAdmin or regular user (if regular users have FTP
allowed!), then it will always use FTP.

In your case when you login as siteAdmin it should therefore use FTP and
that would even work if the feature "Allow FTP for non-siteAdmin" was
unticked. Because siteAdmin should always be able to use FTP.

Unless: FTP isn't enabled or has failed.

And that seems to be the case here. "net2ftp" is trying to make a
connection via FTP from your server to eti.webtent.net on port 21 and it
fails.

This could perhaps fail if your server is using NAT and eti.webtent.net
only resolved to the public IP and not the private IP. Or if the
firewall/router gets confused why an internal to internal connection
uses the public IP.

Please check if our FTP server is working and how the general
connectivity of FTP on your server behaves if you FTP from the SSH
command line. Try "ftp eti.webtent.net" there and see what you get.