[BlueOnyx:22792] Re: Services not starting on 5209R - error writing logs?

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Sun Mar 31 12:15:55 -05 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: Blueonyx <blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it> on behalf of Colin Jack <colin at mainline.co.uk>
Date: Sunday, 31 March 2019 at 18:06
Subject: [BlueOnyx:22791] Services not starting on 5209R - error writing	logs?

    build 20180819 for a 5209R in en_US

    One of our VPS has got the rats and numerous services won’t start.
    Httpd, mariadb, php-fpm cced.init etc.
    Systemctl status suggested that couldn’t write logs so wouldn't start.
    /var/log folder had all the correct permissions & ownership but was devoid of logs.
    This VPS has been fine for years …

    I recreated the /var/log folder with correct ownership and permissions but still no good.
    Manually created the folder & log files for each service individually and was able to start them although still no messages log etc.

    [root@ log]# ls -al
    total 112
    drwxrwxrwx  6 root root  4096 Mar 31 16:19 .
    drwxr-xr-x 26 root root  4096 Mar 31 15:36 ..
    -rw-------  1 root root 88633 Mar 31 16:20 apf_log
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Mar 31 16:09 httpd
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Mar 31 16:05 mariadb
    drwxrwxrwx  2 root root  4096 Mar 31 16:19 php-fpm
    drwxrwxrwx  2 root root  4096 Mar 31 16:09 tomcat

    Interesting the total 112?

    Httpd and cced are running but I still cannot get onto the GUI.

    Anybody able to give me a clue as to what has caused this and how to get sweetness back?
    As an aside, this is a VPS on Virtbiz platform and they had to restart it yesterday because it wasn't available.
    Just wonder if this was anything to do with this problem.

    Thanks

    Colin

Update. Got GUI working by creating /var/log/admserv folder and log files.
Still don't understand why this broke though.

Colin