[BlueOnyx:22898] Re: cmuImport problems

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat May 11 01:57:18 -05 2019

Hi Chuck,

> I'm at a loss.  Anyone have any ideas on how to get this Vsite restored
> with all its users?

I have seen this exactly once before and I couldn't really get to the
bottom of it, as the server wasn't mine and I had to get it up and
running again on the double in the middle of a short night.

Try to use cmuImport with the "-c" switch, which will do the user
creation and import their configuration only, but won't restore the
tarballs. See if that gets you any further. In my case it did and out of
250 users it failed to restore only a handfull, which I then created
manually.

Another idea is to try another cmuExport on the source server. But there
use the "cmuExport -n 'www.site.com' -d /dir" syntax so that the
cmuExport only contains the data for a single Vsite. Then restore that
one and see if it gets you further.

You could also try to restore the Vsites one by one using "cmuImport -n
'www.site.com' ..." to import a single Vsite out of a complete backup.

>From what I could make out when I had that problem it seemed like a
weird memory leak in a Perl module (most likely perl-Quota or one of the
compression modules that does the unpacking) that eventually kicked
cmuImport off the rails.

Importing Vsites one by one therefore *might* help, because CMU is done
before the problem has mounted up to a point where CMU would bugger out.