[BlueOnyx:22909] Re: Checking DNS secondary zone files

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Thu May 16 04:49:18 -05 2019

On 5/16/19 11:16, Colin Jack wrote:
>> Please recall that Bind runs in a chrooted jail. You can find the bind config file
>> named.conf here:
>>
>> /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>>
>> And the zone files should be in this directory:
>>
>> /var/named/chroot/var/named/
>>
> Found the zone files but can't cat them like I can on earlier versions to check the serial number etc.
> Google says the latest versions of bind use raw files?
>
> I appreciate I am being a bit 'noob' here but I need to confirm that the secondary records have updated - they don't always.

Recent versions of bind (>=9.9) can use either raw or text format (can
be configured[1]).
There is a tool to manually convert between the two formats. See the
below url for an explanation and how to convert:

https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00608

HTH - Christoph

[1] See masterfile-format at http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/zone.html