[BlueOnyx:23462] Re: Azure 5209R VPS failure to add additional admin

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Nov 15 16:23:09 -05 2019

Hi Lee,

> Rebooted, and results in...
>
> [root at host ~]# /sbin/quotacheck / -vugm
> quotacheck: Mountpoint (or device) / not found or has no quota enabled.
> quotacheck: Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.
> [root at host ~]# /sbin/quotaon -ug /
> quotaon: Mountpoint (or device) / not found or has no quota enabled.
> [root at host ~]# /usr/sausalito/sbin/disk_restorequotas.pl
> [root at host ~]# /sbin/quotacheck / -vugm
> quotacheck: Mountpoint (or device) / not found or has no quota enabled.
> quotacheck: Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.

Right.  That's what I suspected. Your Azure instance doesn't have disk
quota enabled in a form that BlueOnyx 5209R understands.

And I realized that I overlooked something in your /etc/fstab:

UUID=2c32741d-19d6-4f09-bdbc-a28db4e1d338 /  xfs
defaults,usrquota,grpquota        0 0

You're using XFS as file system, which is a problem.

BlueOnyx 5209R only works with EXT3 or EXT4 file systems, because it
uses perl-Quota to set disk quota. And perl-Quota can't handle XFS. The
install instructions for 5209R mentioned that you need EXT4, though, so
you probably missed that.

In 5210R on CentOS 8 we dropped usage of perl-Quota and switched the
entire quota mechanism to use the quota shell tools. Which works with
pretty much any file system that the quota-tools support. And that means
it'll work with XFS as well.

But 5209R doesn't - yet. I plan on backporting the new quota-mechanism
to 5209R to make it more fault tolerant. It's not *that* much work
(couple of hours), so I could quickly crank that out and publish it in
the 5209R-devel YUM repository.

So ... do you want to be my guinea pig and wait until tomorrow for the
updates for that, do you want to switch back to 5210R or do a reinstall
of 5209R, but this time with EXT4? I'll leave it up to you.