[BlueOnyx:23490] Re: Open VZ

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Nov 19 17:14:23 -05 2019

Hi Franklin,

> Does anybody know when a Open VZ package will be available for 5210R Cent OS 8???

It's been out for a month now and was released on 15th October.

On Aventurin{e} 6109R (OpenVZ 7) you can easily install it via the GUI.

Go to "Virtual Server" / "OS Templates" and click on the button "Search
for more OS Templates".

It should show two new OS templates:

- centos-8-x86_64
- blueonyx-5210R-x86_64

Once you have installed them via the GUI you can create Containers using
them.

However, there are a few catches: Parallels hasn't officially released
the OpenVZ 7 updates needed to run EL8 and their CentOS 8 template cache
and related node updates also haven't been officially released.

Both the above new templates use beta-versions or pre-release versions
of official Parallels RPMs and some things don't yet work quite right.

For example "iptables" inside an EL8 container isn't working yet, as the
necessary kernel module hasn't been implemented in the virtualization
layer. The whole network abstraction layer is also a bit topsy turvy, as
Parallels went the extraordinary length to cripple/replace/hobble
NetworkManager in a way that it works well inside a Container.

I'm running a 5210R Container (and several 5210R VM's on 6109R) and I'd
say the 5210R Container from the OS template isn't production ready yet.
5210R in a VM or stand alone is fine, though.

I also tried building an OS template for the older Aventurin{e} 6108R
(OpenVZ 6) but it flat out won't work with the 2.6.32 kernel on the nodes.