[BlueOnyx:23337] Re: Import users from a cmuExport

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Oct 15 13:53:15 -05 2019

Hi Chuck,

> When I ran the cmuImport against one of the sites - it only imported 26
> of the 62 user accounts.  I don't remember seeing errors when I ran the
> cmuImport - but can't swear it didn't throw some that I missed.
>
> Anyway, I now have 36 missing users on this site on the new server.  I
> still have the data from the old cmuExport - and can see the missing
> user files in that data.  But I don't know the command that will import
> those users with their data.
>
> Can anyone suggest a command to import /just /these users?
Sadly that's one of the glitches that CMU has gathered over the years.
I've spent days on trying to debug and fix it, but to little avail, sorry.

You can try just to re-import that Vsite (while the Vsite is still
present) with this command:

cmuImport -n "<name-of-vsite>" -i <new-ip> -d /export-directory/

If you instead use this it'll just import the settings, but no data from
the tarballs:

cmuImport -n "<name-of-vsite>" -i <new-ip> -c -d /export-directory/

It will complain that the Vsite is already present and will ask you what
to do. You can let it continue. When it tries to import a user that
already exists, then it again will prompt you what to do. Choose
"discard" for each.

If all goes well it should import all or at least some of the missing users.

Another thing I did when I last had the issue: I made a backup copy of
the cmu.xml and edited the original to strip out all Vsites that I
didn't want to re-import and also removed all Users from it that already
had been imported fine. But that's a bit of work.

If you still had the /usr/sausalito/codb/ directory from the old server,
then there is yet another way. I once wrote a script to rescue Vsite and
User settings from that. It then generated two Perl scripts that could
be used to recreate the Vsites and Users with their original settings.