[BlueOnyx:24199] Re: 5210R recommendations

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Fri Aug 21 11:20:14 -05 2020

Hi Ken,

Wow, that’s difficult to answer without knowing the website design and what they are complaining about.  Does the site have a lot of dynamic content, PHP code, a CMS, a big database, or maybe a big image on the homepage?  Is their test server hosted or on the web designer’s LAN?

I have seen customer sites with a rotating carousel of high res images on the homepage, and the limiting factor is Internet speed.

Test server is on the internet using a Rackspace VPS. Ours is on a Virtbiz Aventurine Node Server. Decent spec.

Running the live site through https://webpagetest.org I get a very slow first byte speed (F). Everything else scores an A.
Their test site scores straight A’s with a very fast first byte.

We have 300mbps internet so that is not a limiting factor.

You should also probably add hard drive speed to your list, as well as type (HDD vs SSD), if the site has large images.

The site is not that big and images etc. have all been optimised. It is just the initial load speed.

Regards

Colin