[BlueOnyx:24561] Re: Yum update error 5209R

jobsbw-tmp at yahoo.co.uk jobsbw-tmp at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 05:45:38 -05 2020

 I see so that's the reason why my IPv6 only box didn't got an update and to solve it temporary i added an IPv4 address
So now I will remove that IPv4 address and see what happens

Cheers,Biton
    On Monday, 7 December 2020, 08:31:52 GMT, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:

 Hi Darren,

By the way: Let me follow up on that previous mirror problem while I'm
at it:

> The index.php on updates.blueonyx.it <http://updates.blueonyx.it> makes
> a callback to our
> Matomo/Piwik instance on stats.blueonyx.it <http://stats.blueonyx.it> to
> count the mirror access by
> platform and general geographical origin. Sadly something seems to have
> changed in Matomo and this tiny transaction now causes frequent
> timeouts. Especially when a lot of YUM updates happen simultaneously.
>
> It's a bitch to troubleshoot and for the last couple of weeks I try to
> be around whenever a tsunami of update requests from Japan comes in so
> that I can apply some tweaks and see if that helps.

That issue was eventually fixed back in the middle of August this year.

That was a really interesting problem, by the way.

Like said: The index.php on each updates.blueonyx.it makes calls to
stats.blueonyx.it and also to another database server where we store
which URL parameter resolves to what repository.

The updates.blueonyx.it VPS's (both of them) have IPv4 and IPv6 IPs. And
stats.blueonyx.it also *had* both IPv4 and IPv6. However: That
stats.blueonyx.it VPS had been moved from one virtualization node to
another. And stupidly I had forgotten to assign that new node an IPv6
IP. It only had IPv4 configured.

So whenever an updates.blueonyx.it/index.php was called up, the outgoing
request would be attempted via IPv6, as the remote host it was calling
(stats.blueonyx.it) supposedly was IPv6 capable and had an IPv6 IP. But
the one hop before that (the virtualization node) had no IPv6 enabled or
configured.

The fun part?

The IPv6 connection *still* completed. But only after a 10-15 second
delay. As a result the index.php with the mirror-list always loaded so
damn slow that any other delaying factor (like higher than usual load)
would cause a time-out.

Once the node finally got it's IPv6 IP (that it should have had from the
start) things went back to normal speeds.

And I'm ashamed to admit how long it took me to find that. But hey: It
had some good side effects: While troubleshooting the issue I removed a
lot of legacy code from the mirroring stuff to make that part faster and
more robust as well. \o/