[BlueOnyx:24617] Temporary updates.blueonyx.it outage

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Dec 14 04:16:00 -05 2020

Hi all,

We just had an outage of the main YUM repositories updates.blueonyx.it.

They should be working again now.

The issue was:
===============

I had set up new updates.blueonyx.it VPS's based on CentOS 8 and given
them new IPs for testing until everything was confirmed working.

I then stopped the old YUM repository VPS's and deployed the CentOS 8
replacement VPS's on the same IPs.

That's when the fun started:

Any BlueOnyx 5210R could use the new YUM repositories just fine and w/o
errors.

Anything *older* than BlueOnyx 5210R could not. A "yum update" on a
5209R would error out with this error message:

Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://updates.blueonyx.it/index.php?release=7&arch=x86_64 error was
14: HTTP Error 500 - Internal Server Error

In a browser this URL didn't error out, but (as the Nginx logfile on the
new repos confirmed) any call by YUM from EL7 or older did trigger a 500
server error, whereas it worked with YUM/DNF on EL8.

Even after throwing a lot of debugging at it I couldn't determine the
cause so far. To not prolong the outage I rolled all changes back and
restarted the old VPS's that still work fine.

I'll have to so some more testing before I can roll out the updated YUM
repositories.