[BlueOnyx:24626] Re: Old Blue Cobalts

Rickard Osser rickard.osser at bluapp.com
Mon Dec 14 19:32:37 -05 2020

Hi,

Yeah, walking down memory lane...

I got a Qube 2700 from a little know company named  Cobalt Microserver. No 88 when I checked the s/n...

Anyway I saw this small notice in Linux Journal I guess:
-
Can you guess what DaveM is doing now?

Yeah, porting Linux to MIPS at Cobalt Microserver..
-
DaveM ported Linux to Sparc and by using that I knew about him. I also hajj opened to get the exact same idea for an integrated Soho server with a Web-gui about 2 weeks before I saw the notice. I stopped developing and called the company from Sweden instead, getting a distribution deal and my first Qube.

Anyway, many Qubes, RaQs and years later I'm still here.

When they closed the Cobalt office in Amsterdam, they sent the rest of the old stuff and repair kits to me in Stockholm.

I made an WiFi AP of the qube2, and numerous SSL packages for qubes and raqs, until they could implement it as standard with the raq3/4...

All in all I think we sold around 600 Cobalts from 1999-2002 in Sweden not selling more than 5 to any one customer. No big hosting partners and only through the channel, resellers. But a lot of custom machines. Extra disks, raids, larger disks, more memory and custom packages. It was fun... :-)

And very stylish! :-)

BTW, In one conference about 2001 I saw a sales/support presentation where they broke down sales figures and support calls to every country in EMEA. I had sold 99% of all servers in Sweden in 2000, a few hundred and there was only 1 support call from Sweden, not from me though... I actually got a glass-plaque at the diner. Well, my partner in Denmark also got one, for other reasons.

Ahh... Memories. :-)

Sorry for taking up your time.

Best regards,
Rickard