[BlueOnyx:23670] Re: BO on a Dell Poweredge R510?

Lew Berry LCBerry at LCBConsulting.net
Tue Feb 18 18:21:43 -05 2020

I've built a bunch of these (as backup appliances) on various flavors of x-nix. In order for the OS to see the drive it must be a part of an array. If you want to use software RAID you can try defining all the disks as individual Raid 0 Arrays then combine them with software RAID. However, a lot of the time these prove to be unbootable. My best success has been with creating a RAID1 hardware boot device to install the OS to, and then creating a second software based array (out of 6 or 8 RAID0 arrays) typically used as a repository in my case. It's nice to go ahead and configure IDrac too for monitoring the primary array as OMSA installs rarely prove to be successful.

Lew Berry, MCSE, MCT, CSSA
LCB Consulting Inc.
Systems Engineer
450-106 State Road 13 N, #205
St Johns FL, 32259
LCBerry at LCBConsulting.net
(904) 482-1405
(904) 322-5049 fax
(904) 651-1046 cell

****** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE ******
NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message from your system. Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Blueonyx <blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it> On Behalf Of Neil Watson
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 10:27 AM
To: blueonyx at mail.blueonyx.it
Subject: [BlueOnyx:23660] Re: BO on a Dell Poweredge R510?

On 2/6/2020 8:55 PM Chris Gebhardt wrote:

On 2/6/2020 2:37 PM, Neil Watson wrote:

    >> Hi

    >> Wondering if anyone has put BlueOnyx onto a Dell Poweredge R510?
Does it play nicely with a Dell H700 RAID adapter?

    >> Any other comments?

      >  BlueOnyx will work fine on Dell hardware.    We've got hundreds
anywhere from the old PE2950's to newer R730.

Thanks for the reassurance, Chris.

On the basis "it'll work", I've come by a Dell Poweredge R710 with a PERC H700 RAID adapter...

Thought I'd try the latest BO (5210R) and the installer just 't see the disk on the H700 (its singular at the moment, but I plan for it to be Raid 5).

Some digging has found this
https://fatmin.com/2019/11/23/installing-rhel-8-1-on-dell-r710-r610-with-h700-raid-controller/
which suggests that the H700 no longer has a driver on the Centos 8 images ( :( ) and suggests supplying the driver via an OEMDRV image - but I can't get it to work...

I couldn't get the latest 5209R to install either - but have managed to install Centos 7.7 so I wonder if that was just an oddity...

Have you worked out a recipe for installing 510R on Poweredges that have
H700 RAIDs that you'd be prepared to share perhaps? I'm sure I'm not
going to be the only one trying to do it!

I'm just beginning to worry that my trusty 5107R-running is heading to
"end of support" with the end of Centos 6 so needs to be replaced...

TIA

Neil