[BlueOnyx:23675] Re: Installing with a driver update disk (DUD)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Feb 19 13:55:45 -05 2020

Hi Neil,

First of all: Having to install drivers for a disk controller on any OS
is always a somewhat shitty proposition. Because eventually there will
be kernel updates or OS updates that these updated drivers clash with.
And that can leave you with an unbootable box.

Hence I would recommend to draw a line into the sand: If the OS doesn't
support the disk controller out of the box, then either the disk
controller has to go, or or the OS doesn't go onto *that* box.

> The initial menu says: "BlueOnyx 5210R on Centos 8.0.1905" .... Is it
> supposed to be 8.*1.1911*"?

Yes. I mentioned that here: [BlueOnyx:23580] CentOS 8.1 released

However: As I'm still using my somewhat improvised ISO building process
the ISO's first and second stage installer will report that it's
installing 8.0.1905 during the graphical part of the install off the
ISO. Don't worry: When it's done, you will have 8.1.1911 instead. Which
is - at this time - the latest version of CentOS 8.

At this time I do not know a good or clean way how to re-spin CentOS 8.1
ISO's. So I have to make do with a somewhat bastardized build process
that produces working results, but non-standard ISO's.

In essence the latest BlueOnyx-5210R-CentOS-8.1.1911-20200116.iso uses
the first stage installer from the CentOS 8.0.1905 ISO, but has all the
RPMs from the time it was built. So it installs CentOS 8.1.1911 with the
installer from CentOS 8.0.1905.

> The "Driver Disk Device Selection" prompt happens offering the main
> install disk and my "OEMDRV" CDRW... Select the OEMDRV and the install
> examines the drive - but it then prints *"DD no suitable drivers found*".

Yeah. And at that point I am not certain if this is because of the
bastardized BlueOnyx ISO installer, or if it's an issue with your
procedure or their driver-ISO or something else. For example: We already
use additional parameters during startup and I'm not sure if adding
inst.dd to it will do what you want it to do.

To troubleshoot this further I would recommend to use the stock CentOS
8.1 ISO and try that instead. See if your procedure works in general.

If that works, then we know the culprit is the 5210R ISO. And you can
still manually install 5210R via YUM by using this guide:

https://www.blueonyx.it/5210r-manual-install

However: I'd rather check if it ain't possible to ditch the controller
for something that's actually supported out of the box. Because imagine
having to reinstall the box in the future while the phone rings itself
out of your pocket.