[BlueOnyx:24094] Re: Whitelist / Blacklist terminology

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sat Jul 11 16:17:46 -05 2020

On 7/11/2020 2:12 PM, Michael Aronoff wrote:

> I hope this does not come across as too PC for some people but I would
> like to humbly request that as new updates are made this project
> consider replacing the Whitelist/Blacklist terminology in favor of
> denylist/allowlist or blocklist/passlist.
>
> The Linux team have just made the same change and I think it is a good
> idea to follow suit. I have also just made a donation at
> http://www.blueonyx.it/ to help cover the time such a change would take.
>
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-team-approves-new-terminology-bans-terms-like-blacklist-and-slave/

I'm in favor.

I think it's a valid nod towards the sort of cultural awareness that
we're seeing.   There's nothing wrong with that.

In addition, it's a better reflection of "plain language" for users.
Speaking for my support team, I know we've done a fair share of
explaining what's a blacklist and a whitelist and how it works with
email.   Perhaps our end-users aren't the most technically savvy, but
when we tell them to think in terms of "always allow from" and "always
reject from" that seems to click better with them.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services