[BlueOnyx:23929] Re: SPF records for receiving email.

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jun 2 23:09:47 -05 2020

Hi Brian,

> A simple question I think, but as we can set SPF records for outgoing
> email, how does BlueOnyx handle incoming email, does it check SPF records?

No, at this time there is nothing in a stock BlueOnyx that checks SPF
records.

However, I'm currently working on transitioning 5210R to Postfix, which
will make this a lot easier to add.

Before someone asks about details for that:

I currently have a 5210R that works 99% with Sendmail or Postfix and you
can switch back and forth between either using Sendmail or Postfix via
the GUI.

The holdup in releasing it is adapting the AV-SPAM to Postfix, which is
currently underway.

>From a technical point of view the dual MTA setup works like this:

As is the GUI writes the Sendmail config files. There were almost no
changes to that aspect.

If the default MTA is switched from Sendmail to Postfix, then on every
Postfix start or restart the Systemd Unit-File of Postfix will launch a
script that parses the Sendmail configs and converts them into a format
that Postfix understands. This is already 99% working with the only
feature loss being support for secondary mailservers.

The Postfix configuration can be edited by server admins at leisure as
the GUI integration of Postfix uses the "postconf" command to edit the
main.cf to set some basic aspects such as max message size, RBLs and such.

Any option not used by the GUI can be edited by server admins either via
"postconf" or by editing main.cf, which will make third party
modifications of the Postfix config a lot easier than it is for anything
Sendmail related.