[BlueOnyx:23968] Re: New Template?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jun 11 05:03:34 -05 2020

Hi Dirk,

> even at the risk of being annoying :)
>
> Can you give a first idea when the new template for the Blueonyx backend
> will be available?

No, sorry. I can't. I wish it was already done, but it isn't. And I
can't make any promises when it will be, because there is still a ton
left to do.

The current state of the new template stuff? It's still quite in
shambles and I'm fiddling with stylesheets, messing with graphics,
adjusting colors and trying to make it less of an eye-sore than it
currently is. The selected new template is lacking the UI icons and
buttons that we currently have. Attempts to merge these into the new
template haven't produced results yet that anyone could be happy with.
We're also lacking some styles for UI-elements that this template
doesn't cover, so I'm still trying to piece these together from other
bits and pieces of this template and other sources. All in all: I'm not
making much progress and that project is pulling my motivation down like
an anchor.

Colombia is almost in its fourth month of rather strict quarantine. That
means 24/7 I share the apartment with wife and daughter who both are
either giving or attending classes via video-conference multiple times a
day until the late evening hours. Or recording videos for presentations
or home-work. Usually in volumes that are rather unproductive for anyone
else in attendance. It's a wonder I get anything done given the
circumstances.

The last three weeks? Work on SNI for email, the Postfix integration,
AV-SPAM, Maildir, mailbox conversion utility, updated Fail2ban that
covers Postfix as well and other things. But that's stuff I can do while
blindfolded and pixel pushing isn't. I think I still have 3x as many
tabs open in my browser related to CSS, stylesheets and jQuery than I
ever had open for the Postfix stuff.

I'm also painfully aware that we're flat out running towards the EOL of
CentOS 6 and before that happens I want "Easy-Backup" done, which uses
"Easy-Migrate" methods to create an easily export- and import-able dump
of everything relevant. I rather want to have *that* ready well before
the EOL of CentOS 6 than new eye-candy for 5210R.

If I wasn't honor-bound by my word to do the new template I wouldn't
work on it at all until I'm really done with anything else on my long
to-do list. But instead every couple of days I drag myself back into
that quagmire and push a few more pixel to where they really need to be.

It's a slow, tedious and painful process.