[BlueOnyx:24039] Re: 5210R - Delay in postfix processing/delivery

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jun 25 11:30:34 -05 2020

Hi Dirk,

> one of our customers now uses postfix as mail server.
>
> But now there is a delay when sending mails via a mail client. No matter
> if you use Roundcube or if you come from a customers mailclient from
> outside:

I looked at this during the last few days. Your client is (as far as I
recall) using the AV-SPAM as well? The problem becomes obvious when you
look at both /var/log/maillog and /var/log/messages while sending an
email via RoundCube (for example).

The way it currently is the AV-SPAM unintentionally *does* scan outgoing
emails as well. Even if the checkbox for that purpose isn't checked in
the GUI. That's not how it's supposed to be - of course.

Each of this checks takes a few seconds. Milter-Greylist directly says:
"Nah, this is local. Ignore." Milter-GeoIP says: "Local, I'm not looking
at this." Clam AV also does it's thing (adding 1-2 seconds for firing
that monster up) and then SpamAssassin does the whole shebang of local
and non-local tests: DNS lookups, RBLs, all rules are applied, AWL and
Bayes are taken into account and that keeps the "Sending ..." notice in
RoundCube open for the whole time until Postfix finally accepts the
email. The SpamAssassin run alone might add 3-8 seconds. That's where
the sluggishness comes from.

I figured out how to turn this off and am working on an updated
base-email and AV-SPAM PKG. I might have it ready later today - if not
then tomorrow.